If you are gardening tomatoes at your home garden you may have encounter the particular problem on the blossom end of the fruit. Although this problem also appear in eggplants and peppers too.
It is distinguish by a brownish, depressed leather like area with a size varies from dime to dollar coin or may be more. It make the tomato unfit to sell if not consume.
The main culprit of the problem is the deficiency of the calcium in soil coupled with the erratic supply / access of water by the plant. However careless pruning of vines and hoeing also contribute to the problem.
- If you find any fruit affected with the rot, pluck it from stem immediately.
- Keep the soil moist every time especially during hot / dry seasons. You can use pet bottle irrigation for this purpose.
- Use mulching technique to capture the moisture in the soil for longer duration.
- In order to increase the calcium content in the soil one can add grounded egg shells in the soil
- Stop hoeing and cultivating other plants near the plant.
- You can use the products below to improve the condition of tomato plants in your garden